Physical damage is a part of motor vehicle insurance coverage that covers damage to vehicles and their equipment such as trucks, trailers and passenger automobiles. While it is not usually required by law, most lenders will require it in order to get a loan. The recovery after an accident is usually only enough for either repairing the damaged vehicle or replacing it which would be the value minus the depreciation.

Coverage is separated into two areas: Collision and Comprehensive

Most insurance companies incorporate separate deductibles for Collision and Comprehensive so be sure to check your policy so you know how much you will be responsible for in the event of an accident. It is also important to note that if the accident is not your fault and your insurance company pays your claim, they are entitled to claim against the party whose fault it was.


Covers you for the accident itself, the covered vehicle’s impact with another subject whether an automobile or otherwise.


Also known as “All perils other than collision” is coverage for damages to the vehicle other than collision and is more of a broad coverage. It will include losses from natural disasters including flood, earthquakes, dust storms, and hail, as well as fires, vandalism, falling rocks, and collision or derailing while another vehicle is transporting the insured vehicle. This coverage will not include things like wear and tear or misuse of the vehicle. This type of coverage will also only cover equipment that is necessary for operating the vehicle itself.